Hungarian Goulash Recipe
A national dish of Hungary
Goulash (or Guylas)
To achieve the ultimate flavor, the cooking method is important as is the use of quality real Hungarian paprika and a lot of it. There are many variations of recipes, with a variety of ingredients, but this recipe is the old-fashioned way of making goulash the way the older generations of Hungarian women did over centuries. It is simple and delicious!
Ingredients• 3 tablespoons butter or pork lard (pork fat is traditionally used and highly recommended for the best flavor)
• 1 1/2 pounds yellow onions chopped
• 1/4 cup good quality sweet imported Hungarian paprika
• 1 1/2 pounds beef, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
• 5 cloves garlic ,minced
• 2 red bell peppers, seeds and membranes removed. Do not use green bell peppers
• 1 yellow or red bell pepper ,seeded/membranes removed, cut into 1/2 inch chunks
• 2 tomatoes
• 2 carrots
• 2 medium potatoes ,cut into 1/2 inch chunks
• 5 cups beef broth
• 1 bay leaf
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Prep the vegetables• Chop the bell peppers into pieces about 1/2 inch chucks.
• Chop onions • Chop potatoes into 1/2 inch chunks • Dice tomatoes and carrots
• Avoid green bell peppers.
Instructions• Melt the butter or lard in a Dutch oven over medium high heat and cook the onions until begin to brown, about 7-10 minutes.
• Remove from heat and stir in the paprika. This step brings out the flavor but it is important that you do not fry the paprika as it will become bitter.
• Add the beef and garlic, return to the heat, and cook for about 10 minutes, or until the beef is no longer pink. The beef will release enough juices to keep the paprika from scorching. • Add the bell peppers and cook for another 7-8 minutes.
Do this step for tender cuts of beef• Add the carrots, tomatoes, potatoes, beef broth, bay leaf, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce the heat to medium, and simmer for 40 minutes.
Do this step for tougher cuts of Beef• Add the beef broth, bay leaf, salt and pepper and cook the beef for 30-45 minutes
Then add the vegetables - carrots, tomatoes, potatoes and bell peppers - and cook for another 40 minutes until the beef is tender.
• Add salt to taste.